Learn to Cook with Chef Joel Olson!
Chef Joel offers great cooking classes and workshops for kids and teens in Madison, WI.
Class sizes are limited.
Email now to reserve a spot: firstname.lastname@example.org
Children of all levels of ability, interest, and experience are welcome in Chef Joel’s cooking classes. They will learn to cook and develop their love of food and fellowship through fun, hands-on classes and workshops that focus on developing cooking skills that will last a lifetime.
Children’s classes are generally tailored for children ages 8-15, but older teens are also welcome in many classes and camps. Classes just for Teens are listed here. Younger children (ages 6-8) are welcome in Chef Joel’s Parent-Child Classes. If you have any questions about whether classes are appropriate for your child, please contact Chef Joel.
Chef Joel has considerable experience working with persons with physical and developmental disabilities. He feels strongly that all individuals, regardless of ability levels, can successfully participate in culinary classes and he works hard with all students to ensure that they fully participate in each class.
Chef Joel may offer classes on days when Madison (MMSD) schools are off or have early release so your children can learn useful skills while having fun. Please note the Location for each class.
For information on special culinary events for children, such as Birthday Parties, Scouting events, special celebrations and more click here.
UPCOMING COOKING CLASSES and MINI-CAMPS
(SUMMER CAMP INFORMATION IS BELOW AND ALSO HERE)
8/13 (Mon) 5:00-7:30pm – Kids Polish Cuisine
Polish cuisine has been influenced by many other European cultures and has incorporated some the best of each, featuring many rich, lavish, delicious dishes. In this class kids will prepare the following dishes to enjoy: Potato Pirogi with Sour Cream and Chives; Zupa Ziemniaczana (Polish potato soup); Hand-made Kielbasa Sausage Patties; Stuffed Cabbage Leaves; and Cherry and Cheese Blintzes. Location: St. Mark’s. Class Cost: $50.
8/14 (Tues) 5:00-7:30pm – Kids Korean Cuisine
Have you thought about Korean cuisine with both Koreas often in the news, since the Olympics? Enjoy this Korean-inspired menu that is not only easy to prepare but is also Matissuhyo! (Delicious!) Kids will prepare then dine on Chicken Bulgagi (Korean grilled chicken) with Korean Slaw and Bokkeumbap (Korean fried rice), and Hotteok (sweet Korean pancakes) for dessert. Location: St. Mark’s. Class Cost: $50.
8/16 (Wed) 5:00-7:30pm – Kids Nigerian Cuisine
Nigerian cuisine contains dishes and food items from the hundreds of ethnic groups that comprise this West African country and features colorful and lavish dishes, with deeply flavored sauces and soups from the many native spices and herbs. On the menu: Nigerian Sausage Rolls (hand-mixed ground beef with nutmeg wrapped in fresh-made dough); Nigerian Egg Rolls (hard-boiled eggs wrapped in bread dough then fried); Jellof Rice (spiced rice with stewed tomatoes); Nni Oka (corn Fufu, which has a texture like mashed potatoes) served with Meatball Stew; and Nigerian Banana Cake for dessert. Location: St. Mark’s. Class Cost: $50.
- All Camps are 4-day camps (M-Th).
- AM Camps are 9am–12pm.
- PM Camps are 1–4pm.
- Kids ages 8-15 are welcome in both camps, but AM camps are geared more towards younger kids, While PM camps are geared more to older kids. Teens ages 13-17 are especially welcome in PM camps.
- Location: St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 605 Spruce St, Madison, WI 53715
- Camp Cost: $235 per participant.
- NOTE: All of our camps are nut-free.
8/13-16 (Mon-Thurs) – Techniques of French Cuisine
This intensive 4-Day Camp will allow kids to learn classic, fundamental French culinary techniques that will enable them to cook any food well. They will hone their culinary skills and techniques while learning fun, new, delicious classic French recipes. No prerequisites required, but expect to be challenged! Location: St. Mark’s. Camp Cost: $235.
- Monday: French Onion Soup Gratinée with Fresh Baked Baguettes; Chicken Roulade with Red Pepper, Basil and Citrus Boursin; Pommes Boulangère (French Potato and Onion Bake); Seasonal Vegetable Fricassee; White Chocolate Mousse Roulade with Mixed Berries.
- Tuesday: Tomato Bisque with Lemon Thyme Madeleines; Bifteck Haché (French-Style Ground Beef Patty with Onions and Thyme); Fougasse (French Flatbread with Olives and Herbs); Tartiflette (French Potato, Bacon, and Cheese Bake); Tarte Tatin with Cinnamon Crème Chantilly.
- Wednesday: Quiche Lorraine (made with Pate Brisee); Fish en Papillote with Fresh Rolled Pasta; Sautéed Ratatouille Salad; Crème Brulee with Petit Fours.
- Thursday: Tourin (French Garlic and Onion Soup) with Roasted Garlic Boule (French rolls); Spinach and Parmesan Soufflés; Boeuf aux Carottes (Beef Stew with Carrots); Chocolate and Strawberry Profiteroles.
GENERAL CLASS INFORMATION
COOKING CLASS PARTICIPANTS:
Children’s classes are generally tailored for children ages 8-15, but older teens are also welcome in many classes and camps. Younger children (ages 6-8) are welcome in Chef Joel’s Parent-Child Classes. If you have any questions about whether classes are appropriate for your child, please contact Chef Joel.
Register by emailing Chef Joel at: email@example.com to reserve a spot. Class sizes are limited. Once you receive confirmation that space is available, please send a check made payable to Chef Joel Olson to P.O. Box 5643, Madison, WI 53705-5643.
Class costs are listed for each class. Costs include recipe packets to take home and all foods, equipment, and materials necessary to complete the recipes.
Classes are held at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 605 Spruce St., Madison, 53715.
CHEF JOEL OLSON: