Chef Joel enjoys teaching teens and would be happy to offer more classes for this age group. If you would like to arrange a class for a group of teens, please contact Chef Joel: Hemmachef@gmail.com.
UPCOMING COOKING CLASSES:
Teens are welcome in most children’s cooking classes. We have also scheduled these classes specifically for teens. And teens are always welcome to schedule private cooking classes for special events or just for fun! For more information and to register for classes, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
7/2 (Mon) 5:00-7:30pm – Teen Cuisine: All About Dumplings
Teens will work with different wrappers, as well as make home-made dough and fillings to make a delicious Asian-inspired Dumpling meal! On the menu: Shui Jian Bao (Pan-Fried Leek Buns); Jiao Zi (Chinese Pork and Shrimp Dumplings); and Sugar-Glazed Strawberry Gyoza. Location: St. Mark’s. Class Cost: $50.
7/13 (F) 5-7:30pm – Teen Cuisine: All About Ravioli
Teens will learn how to make egg pasta dough from scratch and roll it out to make ravioli. They will then prepare four different homemade fillings to make delicious fresh Ravioli for a sumptuous Ravioli Feast! Two different sauces will also be prepared: Marinara Sauce and Alfredo Sauce. On the menu: Three Cheese Ravioli; Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli; Spinach and Feta Ravioli; Turkey and Sun-Dried Tomato Ravioli; and Strawberry-Banana Ravioli for dessert! Location: St. Mark’s. Class Cost: $50.
8/9 (Th) 2-4:30pm – Teen Cuisine: All About Fries
Not just French Fries! You can make delicious fries out of many foods. In this class, teens will learn the basics of safely frying food and well as tips on how to “Oven Fry.” Participants will also learn how to make some tasty dipping sauces including a twist on the traditional dipping sauce, ketchup! On the Menu: Cold Oil-Cooked French Fries with Melted Cheddar and Sweet Red Pepper Ketchup; Zucchini Fries with Garlic Aioli; “Oven Fried” Sweet Potato Sticks with Bacon Mayonnaise; and Chicken Fries with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce. Location: St. Mark’s. Class Cost: $50.
- All Camps are 4-day camps (M-Th).
- AM Camps are 9am–12pm.
- PM Camps are 1-4pm.
- Kids ages 8-15 are welcome in both camps, but AM camps are geared more towards younger kids, While PM camps are geared more to older kids.
- Teens ages 13-17 are especially welcome in PM camps.
- Location: St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 605 Spruce St, Madison, WI 53715
- Camp Cost: $235 per participant.
- NOTE: All of our camps are nut-free.
6/25-28 (Mon-Thurs) – Noodles!
Each day of this intensive 4-Day Camp participants will learn and practice unique noodle-making techniques, then use the noodles they make to prepare a variety of delicious savory dishes. Egg-based Ramen Noodles start the week off as kids learn the basics of making that smooth and tender noodle dough. Sophisticated Soba Noodles made of buckwheat follow, then Rice Noodles and finally classic Italian Pasta Dough. (Note: This class is not gluten-free.) No prerequisites required, but expect to be challenged! Location: St. Mark’s. Camp Cost: $235.
- Monday: Ramen: Slowly simmered broths with various classic toppings, including perfectly-cooked eggs. Also on the menu: Teriyaki Ramen Salad; Miso Ramen; Meatball Ramen with Sticky Orange and Soy Sauce.
- Tuesday: Soba Noodles: Soba Noodles with Sesame Sauce; Crispy Soba Noodle Pancakes with Barbecued Chicken and Vegetables; Summer Rolls with Salmon and Soba.
- Wednesday: Rice Noodles: Thai Rice Noodles with Chicken and Broccoli; Pad Thai; Cambodian Rice Noodles with Shrimp and Peas.
- Thursday: Italian Pasta: Buttered Egg Noodles; Three Cheese Ravioli; Spinach and Feta Ravioli; Marinara Sauce and Alfredo Sauce.
7/9-12 (Mon-Thurs) – American Culinary Adventure
This intensive 4-Day Camp will allow kids to hone their cooking skills while learning fun, new, delicious menus. Participants will get to enjoy some classic regional favorites as well as twists on old stand-by’s. The emphasis is on learning basic kitchen skills, including food safety and sanitation as well as knife skills, while preparing delicious food. No prerequisites required, but expect to be challenged! Location: St. Mark’s. Camp Cost: $235.
- Monday: Sautéed Vegetable Salad; Homemade Chicken Meatballs with Herbed Gravy and Cream Biscuits; Classic Kentucky Burgoo with Mashed Sweet and Russet Potatoes; Apple Tartlets with Caramel Sauce.
- Tuesday: Southern Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing; Tortilla Soup with Crispy Tortilla Chips; Golden BBQ Chicken Strips; Hoppin’ John; Fruit “Shortcake” Roulade with Berries and Crème Chantilly.
- Wednesday: Potato and Sweet Corn Chowder; Beef, Cheddar and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches on Fresh Baked Round Bread with Sweet Red Pepper Mayonnaise; Fresh Rolled Pasta with Tomato Butter; Strawberry Mousse with Chocolate Cookies.
- Thursday: Turkey and Sun-Dried Tomato Sausage; Homemade Buttery Crescent Rolls; Carrot and Apple Slaw; Sweet and Russet Potato Cakes; Lemon Bars.
7/16-19 (Mon-Thurs) – International Street Foods
In this intensive 4-Day Camp kids will learn to make delicious popular street foods from around the world. Street foods are often the tastiest and most popular fresh dishes from different cultures and highlight favorite local flavors and ingredients. This camp will give kids the chance to explore culinary offerings from 4 cultures with a wide range of delicious dishes while also learning/improving their culinary skills. No prerequisites required, but expect to be challenged! Location: St. Mark’s. Camp Cost: $235.
- Monday: Pakistani: Chapli Kebabs (Spiced Beef Kebabs) with Naan; Crispy Onion Pakora (Onion Fritters) with Chutney Ketchup; Bun Kebab (Spiced Lentil and Egg Pattie); Aloo Kay Kababs (Potato Kebabs); Chicken Shawarma with Flatbread; Nankhatai (Buttery Cardamom Cookies).
- Tuesday: South American: Argentinian Empanadas with Chicken, Cheese and Spinach; Bolivian Trucha (Trout with Rice and Slaw); Peruvian Causa (Layered Mashed Potato and Vegetable Cakes); Pão de Queijo (Brazilian Cheese Bread); Carne en Palito (Meat on a Stick); Cinnamon Sugar Sopapillas.
- Wednesday: Greek: Chicken Souvlaki with Fresh Pita and Tzatziki Sauce; Tiropita (Feta Cheese Pies); Dolmades (Vegetable and Rice Stuffed Grape Leaves); Kolokithokeftedes (Greek Zucchini Fritters); Koulouria (Sesame and Honey Sweet Bread).
- Thursday: Vietnamese: Bánh Xèo (Crispy Crepe with Pork, Shrimp and Bean Sprouts); Goi Cuon (Fresh Vegetable and Rice Noodle Spring Rolls) with Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce; Bánh Mì (Vietnamese French Bread Sandwich with Tofu or Pork and Quick Pickled Vegetables); Saigon Cinnamon Ginger Cookies.
8/13-16 (Mon-Thurs) – Techniques of French Cuisine
This intensive 4-Day Camp will allow kids to learn classic, fundamental French culinary techniques that will enable them to cook any food well. They will hone their culinary skills and techniques while learning fun, new, delicious classic French recipes. No prerequisites required, but expect to be challenged! Location: St. Mark’s. Camp Cost: $235.
- Monday: French Onion Soup Gratinée with Fresh Baked Baguettes; Chicken Roulade with Red Pepper, Basil and Citrus Boursin; Pommes Boulangère (French Potato and Onion Bake); Seasonal Vegetable Fricassee; White Chocolate Mousse Roulade with Mixed Berries.
- Tuesday: Tomato Bisque with Lemon Thyme Madeleines; Bifteck Haché (French-Style Ground Beef Patty with Onions and Thyme); Fougasse (French Flatbread with Olives and Herbs); Tartiflette (French Potato, Bacon, and Cheese Bake); Tarte Tatin with Cinnamon Crème Chantilly.
- Wednesday: Quiche Lorraine (made with Pate Brisee); Fish en Papillote with Fresh Rolled Pasta; Sautéed Ratatouille Salad; Crème Brulee with Petit Fours.
- Thursday: Tourin (French Garlic and Onion Soup) with Roasted Garlic Boule (French rolls); Spinach and Parmesan Soufflés; Boeuf aux Carottes (Beef Stew with Carrots); Chocolate and Strawberry Profiteroles.
Teen cooking classes are designed for youth ages 13-17. If you have any questions about which classes are appropriate for your child, please contact Chef Joel.
Register by emailing Chef Joel at: email@example.com to reserve a spot. Class sizes are limited. Once you receive confirmation that space is available, please send a check made payable to Chef Joel Olson to PO Box 5643, Madison, WI, 53705-5643.
Class costs are listed. Costs include recipe packets to take home and all foods, equipment, and materials necessary to complete the recipes.
Hemmachef teen cooking classes are held at St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, 605 Spruce St., Madison, 53715.
CHEF JOEL OLSON:
Also check us out – and Like us – on Facebook: Hemmachef.